Whether you are relocating to a new state or just moving across the street, leverage this Moving Checklist to organize and manage your move.
8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Create a list of all home repairs needed and research contractors if needed. Make your home beautiful to ensure the best deal if you are selling your property.
- Find a Realtor to list and sell your home, if needed. Or Sell your property independently using forsalebyowner.com
- Put in your 60-day notice at work, if required.
7 Weeks Before Your Move
- Research new school and childcare options for the kids & enroll as necessary.
- Research local doctors and/or vets for your new location.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Schedule your open house with your realtor.
- Start gathering moving supplies. Consider low cost moving kits online that offer free shipping.
5 Weeks Before Your Move
- Change your address with the USPS.
- Ask current doctor and vet for check-ups and get medical records to be transferred to new doctors’ offices.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Request auto shipping estimates, if required.
- Order electricity service.
- Order natural gas service.
- Order home phone service.
- Order Internet service.
- Order television service.
- Put in your 30-day notice, if required.
- Complete home repairs.
- Begin organizing items into keep, donate, sell and throw away categories.
- Take donation items to designated organizations
- Schedule charities to pick up donated items
- Have a garage sale and/or post on ebay.com or letitgo.com
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Do you need to rent furniture or appliances? If yes, get quotes.
- Notify subscription & prescription suppliers of address change
- Get your car serviced, especially if driving a long distance
- Organize closet & attic items for moving
- Pack knickknacks and other non-essential items
- Book a moving truck rental or hire movers
- Schedule professional cleaners for your move out and move in clean
- Book flights or hotels if your move requires it
2 Weeks Before Your Move
- Make sure all home services and utilities have been ordered or transferred
- Schedule babysitter and pet sitter for moving day
- Update your driver’s license & car registration, if moving to another state
- Schedule final walk-through with landlord, if required
- Pack all but essentials
- Get storage quotes if there is a moving delay or if not all your items are traveling with you
- Book friends or get moving helpers for your move
1 Week Before Your Move
- Last minute errands
- Withdraw emergency moving money
- Pack essentials
- Keep kids and pets safe and occupied. Have babysitter on-hand or send to friends or family.
- Load your moving truck, if you have one. Otherwise wait for your professional moving company.
- Ensure move-out property is clean
- Conduct final walk-though
- Ensure move-in property is clean
- Take possession of keys and begin unpacking!
1 Week After Your Move
- Send out change of address cards to friends & family
- Hire contractors for fix or address new home issues, if needed
- Exterminate unwelcome pests in your new home, if needed
- Sign up for a landscaper & lawn care services, if needed
2 Weeks After Your Move
- Order a security system
- Recycle, donate or return your moving boxes