When you are moving to a new location, it is important to remember to put in a change of address with the U.S. Postal Service (USPS), governmental agencies, financial institutions, and other places that you deal with on a regular basis. While the process to do so is relatively easy, it is time-consuming and tedious, particularly if you need to do so with many different companies. Here’s a look at the primary agencies and companies that need your change of address.

U.S. Postal Service

It is free to change your address with the U.S. Postal Service when you fill out the official form that is available at your local post office. You can also download the form from the official USPS website, print it out, complete it, and mail it to or drop it off at your local post office. Once you complete the official form and turn it in, USPS will forward your mail for one full year.

If you prefer to provide your new house address online or by phone (1-800-275-8777), you can do so for the nominal cost of $1. You’ll have to pay by credit card for both of these options. You’ll need a valid e-mail address when you use the online option.

Governmental Agencies

It’s important to change your mailing address when you move with each of the following governmental agencies when you move.

Social Security Administration: Everyone should provide their new house address to the Social Security Administration when they move. This is done by contacting the agency at 1-800-772-1213. Anyone who is currently receiving Social Security benefits or Medicare at the time that they move can report this information directly through their mySocialSecurity account.

Voter Registration Office: Contact your state’s election assistance commission office and provide your information.

Internal Revenue Service (IRS): If you are currently expecting mail from the IRS, you should change your address right away. Otherwise, you can use the option to do so the next time that you file your tax return.

Department of Veteran’s Affairs: To continue receiving your benefits, it is important to provide your new house address to the Department of Veteran’s Affair by completing their official form, which is available on their website.

Driver’s License: Contact the DMV and complete the necessary paperwork.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS): Anyone who is living in the United States as a non-U.S. citizen must provide their change of address to the USCIS when they move. Simply visit the website and navigate to the section for “Tools” along the top menu bar and select “Change Your Address on File” to identify the method that applies to your situation.

Financial Institutions and Other Agencies

Even though the post office will forward your mail, you’ll eventually need to contact every financial institution that you use to provide your new house address. This includes banks, credit unions, and credit card companies. Don’t forget to also contact banks about outstanding loans that you might have with them.

You should provide your new information to your car, home, and life insurance companies, newspaper and magazine companies, and friends and family. Keep a list of the people you notify to simplify the process.